Sunday, April 15, 2007

Phone Conversation Assignment

This week I have met some really awesome people through email that have helped me tremendously! I think the main reason I made it through making and setting up my blog was because everyone in class was so supportive. It is really a great form of communication and I am excited to browse more peoples' blogs to learn more about them. As for the phone conversation, I kind of had to improvise.
I have had a super busy week. Between working and trying to move I have barely had time to breath it seems. Because of this I have had a hard time trying to find time to email someone regarding the phone call conversation assignment and partnering up. I decided that since my schedule had been so off I would call an employee and have a conversation with them regarding their life and their different conflict styles and theories.
I decided to ask a girl that started Thursday at my company if I could call her to get to know her better and to learn a little more about her...thankfully she said yes and that she was looking forward to it.
The conversation went very well! I had a great time getting to know her and learning about her personal values and morals. It is really exciting and interesting for me to learn about other peoples' way of thinking and also to hear about the way they deal with different situations. She told me she was having conflicts with her daughters father who she was no longer together with. They had been fighting over the daughter's rights and who gets to spend time with her and when, and basically for custody. She was pretty upset about the whole situation, and I felt for her. I told her about different conflicts I had been dealing with at work and with my family and she not only understood but also offered her ideas.
I really enjoyed being able to talk to a stranger and to feel so close and alike. We both are on different pages in our lives but we still had a lot in common, and our personal thoughts were similar. Hearing different people explain things they have been through really inspires me and motivates me to feel like I can make it through anything!
Even though I wasn't able to contact another student in this course, I am still glad I had the opportunity to contact a new person in my life and to hear more about the conflicts in their life.

2 comments:

jamielynnrodriguez said...

I had a lot in common with my phone partner as well. It was a fun exercise! =)

Carrie Bee said...

Yeah I think the phone exercises are a great learning tool. It is fun to be able to communicate and get to know someone and hear their ideas.